MSW Advanced Standing Program
MSW Advanced Standing Curriculum
|Fall Semester||Spring Semester|
|SOWO 65833 - Perspectives of Mental Health||SOWO 65803 - Administration and Management|
|SOWO 65873 - Advanced Practice||SOWO 65893 - Field Education 4 (6 credit hours)|
|SOWO 65813 - Program Evaluation||Elective Course|
|SOWO 65883 - Field Education 3 (6 credit hours)||Elective Course|
Need to complete the program on a less than full time basis? We can work with you to develop a degree plan that meets your needs.
MSW Advanced Standing Admission Requirements
- Prior Degree: Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree in social work (BSW, BSSW) or other bachelor’s degree (BS, BA) with a major in social work from a CSWE-accredited program at the time of enrollment.
- GPA: Applicants should have strong academic preparation as demonstrated by an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.00 (on a 4.00 scale) in the last 60 hours of coursework.
- Course Prerequisites: Applicants must have one college-level statistics course before registering for the first semester in the MSW program.
- References: Applicants must submit three letters of recommendation from individuals who can address the applicant’s academic abilities, interpersonal skills, potential for graduate education, and professional social work practice. It is required that at least one reference be an academic reference from an academic advisor or instructor and that one of these references be from a field instructor.
- Professional Statement: Applicants must submit a well-written professional statement of (750 to 1,500 words max) that addresses the following:
- What motivated you to decide to pursue an MSW?
- How do your personal values connect with the values of the social work profession?
- What are strengths and weaknesses that will impact you as a social worker?
- Describe any experiences and leadership opportunities that will help you be successful in this graduate program?
- Discuss any significant volunteer or work experiences related to social work
- What are your professional goals and plans in social work?
- Please share two TCU Department of Social Work faculty members you would be interested in engaging with during your time in the TCU MSW program. Please visit the Department of Social Work website for more information about social work faculty.
- Optional: We value diversity, equity, and inclusion in the TCU MSW program and will use this information to better serve our students in the MSW program, but it will not be used to make admissions decisions. If you’d like to share a perspective you bring or experiences you’ve had to help us understand you better–perhaps, related to a community you belong to, your sexual orientation or gender identity, or your family or cultural background–we encourage you to do so.
- Resume: Applicants must submit a current resume or vitae with their application.